You are currently browsing the tag archive for the ‘Retrevial’ tag.


Woke up this morning with pain and pressure and knowledge that this transfer was not going to happen today.  I had a full bladder for the ultrasound, so the car ride into the city was torture with each and every bump.  Once we walked into the clinic, nurse looked at me and her face just dropped.  Usually women arrive for their transfer excited and relieved to finally be at that stage of the IVF process, but today I was just worried and in pain, and she saw it clear as day.

I explained my situation and they did and ultrasound to see if there was any fluid in the abdominal cavity or uterus, which there was none.  We discussed options with Dr. C who is just wonderful.  We have not doubted his council or expertise once throughout this whole process and today was just another one of those days that confirmed our choice of RE as a stellar one.  Basically, out of the seven fertilized eggs, three are 8 cell, two are 6 and two are 4-5 cell.  Dr. C was thrilled to see what good quality they were and advised the option to freeze and do a FET in July.  This will allow me time to recover from what feels like OHSS and (as I like to call it) prep the landing pad of my uterus for those snowbabies in July.

The obvious risk here is to do the transfer today.  If I get pregnant there is a more than likely risk I would have a more severe stage of OHSS which could mean a trip to the emergency room or possible loss of pregnancy.  Being that both my ovaries are big right now (one being so big it’s nestled right on top of my uterus) any more growth would be disastrous.


The bad —- the fact that we will have to wait, that I am in pain now, that our chances for pregnancy with an FET is diminished by 3-4%.

The good —- that I get some pain meds for the pain (oh, Liza!), that I will have recovery time, that I don’t have to worry when I am home for vacation about drinking wine or lifting my nephews/nieces, that I can be in the best possible shape for those embies to be put inside me.

This hasn’t been a pleasant few days since retrieval comfortwise but somehow I knew deep inside that our patience would be tested again.  We will continue with the PIO shots for 10 days and once I get my period I start BCP’s and will call the clinic.  All in all we are trying to look at the upside of all this and keep on keepin’ on.

Oy, the cramping!  Lower abdomen feels like it was punched a few hundred times.  I am, so far, not a true candidate for any OHSS being as I have pooed and peed, not run any fever, and not had any nausea or vomiting or severe abdominal swelling.  I would be lying, though, if I did not state that I am severely uncomfortable.  The cramping is terrible and I feel a little bit like I did when I got back from my first Laproscopy.  But this retrieval was a crazy procedure, so I should have expected this. ((Crazy procedure also considering the fact that while going under anesthesia I decided to serenade the room with my woozy version of  “Cockles & Mussels”!)) ((Face-plant!)). I’ll keep on taking my Tylenol ES and keep on relaxing today and tomorrow.

Got the call from the clinic today…7 our of our 8 eggies decided to partner up and fertilize!!!!  YAY!  Now we wait until Sunday to see how far they get.  Our transfer time is 8:30am.

Oh, and we need to start those Progesterone in Oil shots tonight.  BOOO PIO shots!  BOO!  Those needles look like spears and they have to be intramuscular injections…BOO!  But, if this means a healthy BFP for us and thusly a healthy pregnancy…than stick that shit in!

Last night was probably the most uncomfortable I have been so far in this process.  The pressure that has built up in my abdomen is a little beyond annoying so sitting in a comfortable position does not exist when you feel like that.  I could not wait to go to bed so I could just lie down.  When I woke this morning, I felt much better which, naturally, made me nervous…”did I ovulate???”…”maybe this isn’t going to work today?”.  It only took an hour of being up and about for the pressure to return, so I feel like I did last night (bloated, uncomfortable) and never thought I would be relieved about it!?

We are leaving at quarter to twelve for the clinic because I am a nervous nelly that needs to be early for everything.  I am gathering all my energy to put towards many healthy, strong, mature eggies to be retrieved today!!  Crossing fingers!  I will update later on…


**5:35pm:  Back from retrieval.  They got 8 eggies and apparently there were a few more follicles but Dr.C was pleased with the haul and besides, the follies were in a precarious position on the ovary which would have made him pass directly through…something he was not inclined to do.  All in all everything went smoothly and now we await the call to see how the pitri dance goes.  Hopefully we will do a transfer on Sunday!

Sometimes you get good news, sometimes you get bad news.  Today we got an inkling of good news…my estrogen levels are <32.  Small thing, right?  Big thing to me.  Hey, I’m taking all I can get these days.

We met with Dr. C today and had our teaching.  It really is something to sit there and talk through all of these shots you will eventually be either given or be giving yourself.  *Gulp.  Amazing how you just push yourself to get over the fear of needles right quick. 

Chris spent the better portion of this afternoon pricing out our meds, seeing if we could cut some cost down.  He is a prince.  Our situation is unique since my three month Lupron stint has me supressed already and we need to jump on that fact quickly.  Unfortunately, this leave us less than 48 hours to firm up our financing, get our meds and clear the time for our next ultrasound.  Oy. VEY.

But, here we go…ready or not.


Email Me

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 11 other followers


July 2020


Previous Entries

Inspire health and wellness support groups